After a barrage of hot weather and rain, New Zealand homes could be in for an influx of the terrifying white tail spider.
But Kiwis shouldn't be too concerned to find the critters hiding in their shoes or jacket. It turns out their bite doesn't pack as much of a punch as we have been led to believe.
PhD student and spider expert Leilani Walker told Three's The Project that the spider's bite isn't what causes a reaction, its actually the infection that follows.
"Despite what a lot of people think, white tail spiders are not dangerous at all," she said. "There is no evidence to suggest that they're dangerous to people.
"Basically what happens is that people get bitten by spiders and, because the skin is pierced, you get bacteria getting in and they cause an infection, which produces these awful looking welts, and sores and lesions."
Watch the video for the full The Project interview.