Christchurch earthquake claimant has gone three days without food

A Christchurch man is refusing to eat three days into a hunger strike, in a desperate plea to resolve his earthquake insurance claim. 

Peter Glasson's home suffered significant damage in the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes, and he says he's still waiting on insurance company Southern Response to play fair.

Mr Glasson says he is losing a kilogram a day, is weak and tired but is determined to continue the hunger strike if required. 

He will undergo a planned medical check on Thursday. 

Southern Response says it has tried to resolve the situation - even offering to fix the house - but could not come to an agreement.

The dispute began in 2016, which was when the insurance company "first became aware that the Glassons had issues with their house foundations", chief executive Anthony Honeybone says.

"We started working with the Glassons to settle their claim from this point and, after we were able to broadly understand their issues, we offered to mediate with them. Unfortunately mediation was unsuccessful.

"Southern Response has offered to actually undertake the work to repair the Glassons' house."

Mr Glasson previously told Newshub Southern Response was refusing to meet with him.

"[They're] refusing to discuss our claim and so it's just a very problematic position that we've got ourselves into," he explained.

"There must be another process that is a more practical process for resolving these claims than simply just delaying them like Southern Response does."

The insurance company says it was hoping to have the matter resolved last November through trial, but the Glasson family brought "extensive new evidence" to light the day before.

Newshub.