The families of victims killed in the CTV building collapse have made one last plea for justice after the police announced they wouldn't prosecute.
At a media conference in Christchurch on Wednesday, the families announced they will not take legal action but have made a plea, writing a letter to the Attorney General David Parker to overturn the decision.
One-hundred-and-fifteen people were killed when the building collapsed in the February 2011 earthquake, accounting for the bulk of the quakes 185 deaths.
- The Government has no power to intervene in CTV police prosecution
- Year and one day law to be repealed by the Government
Last year, police announced they would not be prosecuting the engineers responsible for the building, saying they were unlikely to get convictions.
The police investigation identified significant deficiencies in the building's design, and they considered charges; however, after advice from Deputy Solicitor General Brendan Horsley, police decided not to prosecute anyone.
Families Group Spokesman Maan Alkaisi claims Mr Horsley was not aware of all the evidence in the case when the decision not to prosecute was made.
"We ask for justice and accountability and we will never give up until justice is done."
The families have previously met with Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Justice Minister Andrew Little to express their concern about the decision.
Ms Ardern said the Government, unfortunately, did not have the power to intervene with the decisions on prosecutions - but in March, the Government announced they would repeal the 'year and one day' law in light of the decision.
Under the Crimes Act the law prevents a person from being held criminally responsible for a death that occurs more than a year and a day after the death or an act that contributed to the death.
The Attorney General's office said it had recieved an email from the families.