Police officer hit by car, left on ground by fleeing offenders

Police officer hit by car, left on ground by fleeing offenders
Photo credit: Newshub/ file

A police officer was allegedly hit by a car and left on the ground during an "incredibly dangerous" pursuit involving four males in Auckland overnight.

The driver of a stolen vehicle with three passengers failed to stop for police at around 3am on Friday morning leading to a pursuit on the Southern Motorway.

Police say the reckless driver began travelling in the wrong direction on the motorway and they pulled out of the pursuit while a helicopter monitored the car from above.

An officer was setting up road spikes at the Te Atutu interchange when the fleeing driver allegedly drove straight at him, lifting him off the ground.

The officer suffered minor injuries and police say he is doing well despite being "very shaken".

The car reportedly stopped after Te Atutu, where a male passenger tried to steal a van travelling in the other direction, assaulting the driver.

Police chased, tasered and arrested the offender, while the fleeing driver continued with the two other passengers.

The vehicle was spiked by Patiki Road on the North-Western Motorway and the remaining three were taken into custody.

Avondale Police area commander inspector Grant Tetzlaff, said "it is incredibly lucky that we are not dealing with a situation today where a person or persons suffered serious injuries".

"This behaviour is reckless, dangerous and quite frankly those involved were putting lives of innocent members of our community in danger as well as our staff."

He said the incident was "absolutely appalling".

"Our staff come to work every day to keep people safe and they do not deserve to be driven into."

The four males, aged 18, 17, 15, and 13, are facing multiple charges from police.

Police want to speak to the driver of a van that the offenders allegedly tried to steal, ask him to contact with Sergeant Craig Cartwright on 027 668 3669.