As of Monday, 10 Countdown stores across the country have officially abolished plastic bags.
Customers will either have to bring their own or buy a reusable bag at checkout.
- Missing 'O' at Countdown Auckland Airport leaves behind rude word
- Couple given free cigarettes with Countdown groceries
"Whatever you bring, we'll pack it for you," Countdown spokeswoman Kiri Hannifin said in a statement.
"If you bring a bucket or a wheelbarrow... then that's cool, and if you forget, then we'll have some options available."
She said there will be signs to remind customers of the change.
"We know it's going to be pretty annoying, but we are committed, because we definitely think it's the right thing to do."
The remaining 172 Countdown stores will go plastic bag free by the end of the year, Hannifin said.
The ten Countdowns going bag-free on Monday are:
- Aviemore Dr, Highland Park, Auckland
- Roselands, Papakura, Auckland
- Northwest, Massey, Auckland
- Johnsonville Mall, Wellington
- Victoria Ave, Whanganui
- Redwoodtown, Blenheim
- Ferrymead, Christchurch
- Grey Lynn, Richmond Rd, Auckland