The speed limit on the motorway surrounding the Waterview Tunnel will be returning to 100 km/h in July.
It has been a firm 80km/h since before the tunnel opened in July 2017, and many motorists have been ticketed by speed cameras in the area.
The NZTA has proposed changes allowing a 100km/h speed limit in certain conditions on State Highway 16 and State Highway 20.
Moving the variable speed limit from 30-80 km/h to 30-100km/h will take place in two phases.
The first phase of changes will take place at the following locations:
- SH20 southbound 650m north of Maioro St to 5m north of Dominion Rd
- SH20 northbound 25m south of Dominion Rd to 440m south of Maioro St
- SH16 eastbound 880m west of the eastern abutment of the Rosebank Bridges to 235m east of St Lukes Rd
- SH16 westbound 255m east of St Lukes Rd to 880m west of the eastern abutment of the Rosebank Bridges
- Including all on and off ramps connecting to local roads.
The change comes after the NZTA received 3000 submissions from the public, many asking for the speed limit to be increased, during a four-week feedback period.
Limits will change following signage and system requirements. It will still be lowered following events like crashes, maintenance works or extreme weather conditions.