The jury trial of an Auckland rugby coach facing more than 80 charges of sexual offending against young boys has begun at the Auckland High Court.
Alosio Taimo has pleaded not guilty to 83 charges from 18 complainants.
All of the boys were under the age of 16 when the alleged offending occurred.
Taimo is facing:
- 26 charges of sexual violation by unlawful connection
- 18 charges of an indecent act on a child under 12
- 23 charges of an indecent act on a young person under 16
- eight charges of indecency with a boy under 12
- 10 charges of indecency with a boy between 12 and 16.
The trial is set down for 10 weeks.
If convicted on all the charges, Taimo will surpass the 74 charges admitted by New Zealand's worst convicted school sex offender, former deputy principal and paedophile James Parker.