Foodstuffs have confirmed none of the fruit in its stores are associated with the recall of strawberries underway in Australia.
The owner of supermarket chains New World, Pak'n'Save and Four Square said on Thursday that, while it stocks some Australian strawberries, none of them are associated with the ones in Australia at risk of needle contamination.
A disgruntled ex-employee is believed to be behind the needle sabotage of strawberries in Australia that left one man hospitalised.
- Strawberries pulled from Australian supermarkets after needle sabotage
- Biosecurity warnings after Chinese strawberry seeds found in online shopping
Woolworths in Australia has pulled strawberries from its shelves and a recall issued for Berrylicious and Berry Obsession strawberries purchased in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria after a man swallowed part of a needle.
Three incidents have been reported to police so far, reports ABC News, including one in Queensland and two in Victoria.
The Queensland Strawberry Growers Association said it has "reason to suspect a disgruntled ex-employee" is behind the needle sabotage.
Police launched an investigation into the matter over the weekend, and 9 News reported that two more people have come forward in Victoria claiming similar experiences.