The Me Too movement has created valuable discussion, but action on updating old practices has been slow, according to experts.
It's been one year since actress Alyssa Milano sent the first tweet with a Me Too hashtag, and since then the world has witnessed Hollywood stars and high-profile men face repercussions for inappropriate behaviour.
- #MeToo one year on
- #MeToo movement exposing 'very unpleasant side of New Zealand' - Helen Clark
- Wellington blogger threatened after series of #MeToo posts
But Dr. Carol Harrington, senior lecturer of social and cultural studies, told the AM Show on Monday that despite the talk, physical progress had been slow.
"I've seen progress in terms of young women and how they're willing to talk about sexual harassment and sexual violence," explained Harrington, "I don't know if there's much behavioural change though."
"In the university there's been talk about having better sexual harassment processes, or any sexual harassment processes, but institutions are pretty slow to move so maybe in another year or two we might see something like that."
Danielle McLaughlin, a political commentator, said "according to Bloomberg at least 400 men in high profile positions have lost their jobs because of accusations, but I'm not sure for the average woman life has changed much."
McLaughlin agrees that the discussion about sexual harassment has been beneficial, but "we're not seeing a lot from government or from private corporations or private companies to make a change."
Harrington also told the AM Show that support processes get overloaded whenever movements like Me Too gain traction.
She urged the government to provide adequate funding and support to these places.
"I have some hope. We're seeing a new generation of women coming through and I've noticed they have a whole different attitude," explained Harrington.
"They're not going to put up with it."