Police warn of increase in drink-spiking at Christchurch bars

Police warn of increase in drink-spiking at Christchurch bars
Photo credit: File

A number of women have come forward complaining their drinks have been spiked at Christchurch bars. 

Police say they have recently seen an increase in complaints and have been handing out pamphlets at bars warning people of drink-spiking. 

It comes after police arrested and charged a 33-year-old man for allegedly drugging two women, sexually assaulting one and attempting to sexually assault the other, at a central city bar.

It is believed the women had been socialising and drinking at Mama Hooch on Colombo St, but the alleged offending happened at another location. 

The man, who has interim name suppression, first appeared in the Christchurch District Court in August.

He was granted bail after being charged with unlawful sexual connection, attempted unlawful sexual connection, two counts of stupefying, and supplying, administering or dealing in ecstasy. 

Police say people should be aware of their drinks and not give anyone the opportunity to tamper with them. If people notice a change in colour or taste in their drink they should not drink it.  

Anyone who believes they may have had their drink spiked, or has witnessed suspicious behaviour is urged to contact police.

Police say if a friend is feeling drunk, sick, uncoordinated or confused, or faints, stay with them and don't leave them alone.

Mama Hooch has been approached for comment. 

Where to get help:


  • New Zealand Police - there are police officers specially trained to work with sexual assault situations.
  • Local hospital emergency centre - staff are used to dealing with all types of physical assault.
  • Rape Prevention Education provides information for those affected by sexual violence. It also provides education and promotion/prevention activities.
  • Visit the Rape Prevention Education website (link is external).
  • The Alcohol Drug Helpline can answer questions you have about the use of alcohol and other drugs. It can also provide interventions and tools to help you change.
  • Visit the Alcohol Drug Helpline website (link is external).
  • Remember that your friends and family are also there to help you.
  • In any emergency call 111.