Grace Millane: Post-mortem carried out, but police won't release results

A post-mortem examination has been carried out on the body of British backpacker Grace Millane, who was found in the Waitakere Ranges on Sunday.

Police carried out the post-mortem on Monday, but will not be releasing the results. 

A scene examination of Scenic Drive, where her body was found, will continue on Tuesday, Auckland City Police, Detective Inspector Scott Beard says. 

Police have released photos of a 2016 red Toyota Corolla hatchback which was hired from a central Auckland rental company on Sunday, the day after Ms Millane was last heard from.

The car was found in Taupo. 

Police say they have had a number of calls from people with information on the car.

The vehicle was rented for a 24-hour period, and was returned to a central Auckland rental car company at lunchtime on December 3.

Police are continuing to ask to hear from anyone who travelled along Scenic Drive on Monday, December 3, between 6am and 9:30am.

Grace Millane: Post-mortem carried out, but police won't release results
Photo credit: Newshub

They would also like to hear from anyone who walked along Scenic Dr, or who parked in the Waitakere Dam carpark over the same time period. 

A number of vigils are being held for Ms Millane across the country in the coming days, however the Millane family have respectfully declined to attend.

The family have also declined to make any further public comment and have asked for continued privacy.

Ms Millane's father, David, and one of her brothers are in New Zealand. The rest of her family are back home in England. 

Ms Millane arrived in New Zealand in late November in the second leg of a year spent backpacking around the world.

Her family became concerned when she failed to check in with them on her birthday on December 2, and police subsequently began searching for her.

It was discovered that she went out to SkyCity on Saturday, December 1 and then arrived at the CityLife hotel on Queen St.

The last known image of her alive is her entering the hotel at 9:41 pm that night.

In the week following the search for her disappearance kicked into high gear. Her father flew over from her home town of Essex, and held an emotional press conference pleading for people to come forward with any information on her disappearance on the afternoon of Friday, December 5.

Insp Beard announced on Saturday, December 6 the investigation into her disappearance had become a homicide investigation.

He also revealed a 26-year-old man had been arrested and was speaking to police. It was later announced that same man was charged with her murder. He was seen on CCTV with Ms Millane on the night of Saturday, December 1.

He appeared in the Auckland District Court on Monday and has been granted interim name suppression.