Air New Zealand incident: 19yo man charged by police

A 19-year-old man has been charged following an incident at Auckland International Airport on Wednesday night which caused disruptions to passengers.

A passenger was removed from Air New Zealand flight 711 to Australia around 8:45pm after making threatening comments.

Police say the man has been charged with breaching the Civil Aviation Act and will appear in Manukau District Court on Thursday.

The A320 was bound for Sydney.

An Australian woman told Stuff passengers had been informed the disruptive traveller claimed to have a bomb.

"The captain came out and said the guy had said that he had a bomb on board."

Officials wouldn't confirm that. Another passenger said a "threatening comment" had been made.

An Auckland Airport spokesperson originally told Newshub the plane was mid-flight and had to make an emergency landing due to the incident. They later clarified that the plane was stationary on the tarmac at the time.

The flight, held up an hour, didn't end up taking off. Passengers were booked into hotels for the night and given vouchers to buy food.

A second service the plane was due to fly, flight NZ832 from Sydney to Queenstown on Thursday morning, also had to be cancelled.

Newshub.