The University of Auckland has cancelled its autumn graduation processions after discussions with police over concerns of "copycat terrorist events".
On Thursday, University of Auckland vice-chancellor Professor Stuart McCutcheon advised graduates that processions for its autumn graduations had been cancelled after talking with police.
- Students won't parade through streets for University of Canterbury graduation following police advice
- GCSB, SIS bosses fear Christchurch terror attack copycats, retaliation
- Auckland Council cuts 84 Anzac services down to 26 over terror fears
The March 15 Christchurch terror attacks were a factor in the decision.
"We know that following events such as the Christchurch mosque shootings there is a period of several months during which the risk of related or copycat terrorist events is increased," a statement said.
"Although we know of no specific risk to the graduation processions or ceremonies, we nevertheless need to consider that increased general risk."
Reducing the risk of a vehicle being used as a weapon would require "blocking off all intersections and side streets between Old Government House and the Aotea Centre".
"This would lead to a level of traffic disruption that may be unacceptable to the city but that, even if acceptable, could not be negotiated and organised in the time available," the statement explained.
Police told Newshub they had been in contact with various event organisers to "provide information around the current threat level, what it means and whether police will be in attendance as security".
"The decision on whether or not an event will go ahead is ultimately for the event organiser."
The University of Canterbury also made a similar decision this week for some of its processions.
The University of Auckland ceremonies, held between April 29 and May 3, will continue as normal.
Concerns of attacks have also resulted in many Anzac Day commemorations being cancelled.