'Lmao': Lauren Southern responds to Patrick Gower's request for a rematch

Alt-right speaker Lauren Southern has replied to Patrick Gower's call for rematch of their infamous interview last year.

In 2018, Southern and Stefan Molyneux visited New Zealand, where they were supposed to speak to fans - but the event was cancelled at the last minute.

Gower interviewed the pair after the cancellation, and subsequently received abuse online that he had been "destroyed" by Southern and Molyneux.

'Lmao': Lauren Southern responds to Patrick Gower's request for a rematch
Photo credit: Twitter / Stefan Molyneux / Caolan Robertson

But he rejected being broken by the pair, although he said he had been taken back by some of their "juvenile" responses and tactics.

"Molyneux's complaint is that I 'shut him down' - and I happily admit that too. He went off on a rant, a self-serving monologue with no relevance to the question," Gower said in an opinion piece after the interview.

"I am also more than happy to admit that Southern and Molyneux got on top of me. So what? They do that for a living, it's their job."

On Monday, as part of Newshub's Because It Matters series and white supremacy investigation, Gower said he was not prepared for the pair.

"I underestimated them, I was underprepared and they steamrolled me," he said on The Project.

"I'm ready for a rematch with Stefan Molyneux and Lauren Southern."

Southern has now replied to Gower's request, tweeting that the journalist had tried to make their interview a "'match' in the first place."

"You were supposed to interview us. Yet journos are told to simply combat and disagree with things they admittedly haven't looked into and don't understand. Now you want a rematch? Lmao."

Soon after tweeting her response, Southern deleted the tweet.

'Lmao': Lauren Southern responds to Patrick Gower's request for a rematch
Photo credit: Twitter

In his opinion piece, Gower said Southern and Molyneux weren't interested in being interviewed, but simply wanted to go after him "in a machine-gun speed verbal attack."

Auckland Council refused to host the pair's event last year in council-owned buildings prior to their arrival, and private venue The Powerstation pulled out on the day of the event.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz