A Pike River widow is relieved one of the theories around the fatal blasts can be put to bed, but says key questions remain.
Police have found no evidence to suggest a conveyor belt inside the mine caused the second explosion, which ended all hope for the 29 men five days after the first blast on November 19, 2010.
But Anna Osborne, who lost her husband Milton, says that's only part of the equation.
"There would never have been a second explosion if the first one hadn't happened," she told Newshub.
"So for me, the most important thing at this stage is to figure out actually what happened in that first explosion."
She's urging anyone with evidence relating to the mine disaster to come forward.
"They might think the decision is something trivial and they don't want to take police time up with it, but actually that little piece could actually contribute to a whole wider picture."
She says the families are - on the whole - feeling positive about the way forward, believing they're on the right track to finding answers, despite re-entry into the mine being postponed last week.
"The environment was very positive, and it does feel like we are actually being listened to and taken seriously."