Yolanda Tu'uheava tells court about being shot twice in head

A woman has described being shot twice in the head after witnessing her husband being shot on an Auckland street.

Epalahame Tu'uheava and his wife Yolanda Tu'uheava were both shot multiple times on Greenwood Road in Mangere on May 1 last year.

Prosecutors allege the pair were lured into what they thought was a drug deal on Greenwood Road after the relationship between Epalahame and the Comanchero gang soured.

Epalahame, a 28-year-old father of one, died within minutes, but Yolanda survived.

Fisilau Tapaevalu and Mesui Tufui are on trial in the High Court at Auckland charged with murder and attempted murder.

On Wednesday, Yolanda described how her husband had "admired" the Comanchero gang, and on Thursday, she continued giving evidence, including a description of the events that night.

She said the pair parked on Greenwood Rd and, a short time later, a car pulled up behind their vehicle. Her husband got out to speak to a man. She waited in the car playing on her phone for about an hour.

"Not too long after that I heard someone screaming," she told the court via video link.

Yolanda said her husband came over and blocked the drivers door of their vehicle.

"He said 'please, please don't my wife had nothing to do with it'. I couldn't understand what was going on."

She saw a man with a gun and got out of the vehicle. She said to the man: "Please don't I'm pregnant".

Yolanda said she was scared and began gripping her husband before she ran off down the street, followed by her husband.

She says the pair hid behind a tree before a vehicle pulled up near them. She said a man told the pair to walk through a gate into a field "indicating he was going to shoot and kill us in there".

"I just said no I'm not going in there. I started to pray," she said.

Yolanda said she was separated from her husband and then another man appeared with a gun.

"I got on my knees and then the last time I saw the young guy he was holding the gun and then the last thing I heard was bang and my arm fell."

She said she was shot twice in her arm.

"Then I seen him and then he looked frustrated that I didn't die. Then he turned around and I knew he was going to try and finish me off so I fell to my side and he went to start shooting me. I screamed out Jesus shield me. He just went click, click, click and there was no bullets left in his gun."

Yolanda said when the man went to reload his gun her husband got up and ran towards the couple's car. She then heard "bang, bang, bang" and her husband "went sliding on the ground and that was it. That was it for my husband".

She says she then went towards her husband and was shot twice in the head.

"My life flashed before my eyes and a voice in my head just says stay still."

Yolanda said she played dead and the men left. She managed to get close to the street so a passer-by might spot her. She lay on the ground praying and singing Tongan hymns.

One Comanchero member, Viliami Taani, pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder last week.

The trial of Tapaevalu and Tufui continues.