Family 'shocked' after grandparents hospitalised for smoke inhalation

Two grandparents are fighting for their lives in hospital after a family evening with their new grandchild almost turned deadly.

The 52-year-old man and 46-year-old woman are in a critical condition with carbon monoxide poisoning - after using a charcoal brazier inside. 

Fire and Emergency New Zealand and St John crews were called to the scene on Avis Ave, south Auckland, just after 11am on Monday.

"We used it [the brazier] for the baby massage," son Tejendra Bhattarai told Newshub. "They used it upstairs but there was no window open." 

The pair then went to sleep, and were found unconscious by another family member this morning.

"He saw vomit in the bed and as soon as he saw he rang me and I told him to call the ambulance," Bhattarai said.

The family say they've been left shaken by the incident. 

"Very shocking, very shocking," Bhattarai told Newshub. "I can't really comment much more." 

Police cordoned off the house, and an investigation is underway.