A fire broke out at a landmark pub in Methven, Canterbury on Tuesday morning.
A witness said the roof of the Brown Pub was well involved, with flames visible and smoke coming down the main street.
- Investigation reveals devastating Wellington marae fire was accidental
- Boy Scouts forced to run for their lives after fire at Wellington marae
- Wellington's Tapu Te Ranga Marae burns down
"All persons are accounted for," a Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) spokesman told Newshub.
The street was closed as crews fought the blaze.
Brown Pub marketing manager Karyn Robertson said it was a big blow, "especially at this time of the year with the winter season about to get underway.
"It's a horrible time," she told Newshub.
FENZ Methven chief fire officer Brent Anderson said the they were called to the blaze about 9:30am on Tuesday.
"It was a bit of a shock," he told Newshub at the scene. "I came up the road and there was smoke everywhere."
Anderson said crews would continue to monitor the blaze.
"No rooms at all have been fire damaged - just a bit of water damage and a bit of smoke coming down into the first floor."
The pub was also completely rebuilt after a fire in the 1920s.