The man accused of stabbing Star the miniature horse has pleaded not guilty.
He appeared in Dunedin District Court on Friday morning on a charge of cruelty to an animal.
- Man remanded in custody over Star the miniature horse's death
- Man arrested over Star the miniature horse's stabbing
- Vet says miniature horse stabbing 'worst he's ever seen'
The 49-year-old man has name suppression and was will stay in custody. He will next appear in court in September.
Star's injuries were discovered on February 18 after a man walking past his Waitati paddock heard distressed noises.
He found a trail of blood leading down the road, which led him to Star, who had been untethered and stabbed 41 times.
The horse was rushed to Otago Equine Hospital in Mosgiel and underwent a five-hour operation, but died from his injuries.
Members of the Otago community were shocked by Star's injuries and described them as "horrific".
"As well as dealing with a traumatised horse [the owner's] children are distraught and [she] faces an enormous vet bill, which will be in the thousands," a Givealittle fundraiser set up for Star said.