The father of a man who died choking on a pie at a Canterbury rugby club says the death of his son is a "tragedy".
Phillip Andrew Ludemann was taking part in a time trial competition alongside his dad at Southern Rugby Club in the mid Canterbury township of Hinds, Stuff reports. Ludemann was the third person involved in the trial and had to eat a pie as fast as he could.
The 30-year-old choked on the pie and could not be revived by emergency services.
"Everyone did their best to bring him around," dad Ian Ludemann told Stuff.
"They did all the procedures that were necessary, they tried CPR and there was no response."
He said there was no-one to blame for the tragedy.
"Everyone did everything they could on the night."
Newshub has contacted Southern Rugby Club for comment.
Ian told Stuff his son was well-liked.
"We thank the rugby boys that were first there and then the fire brigade, St John, and the police have been very good to us."
Phillip was farewelled in Ashburton on Monday.
According to the Triple One Care first aid website, to assist a choking person you need to administer back blows, and chest thrusts if needed.
Meanwhile, Medical Daily says choking is one of the five risks of eating food too quickly.