A resolution has been announced for the last group of Cantabrians battling botched or missed earthquake repairs.
EQC Minister Grant Robertson and Greater Christchurch regeneration Minister Megan Woods made the announcement on Thursday, saying the Government will provide relief to those affected.
- Christchurch couple discovers fault in house's earthquake repairs, may reflect wider issue
- Dame Silvia Cartwright to head inquiry into EQC's earthquake claim handling
- EQC report provides recommendations to resolve outstanding earthquake claims
The affected homeowners will now be able to apply for Government payments to get on with repairs. The Government estimates the bill could reach $300 million.
Homeowners have a year to make an EQC claim for defective repairs or previously undetected damage.
"EQC estimates there could be up to 1000 homes affected by today's [Thursday] announcement," Robertson said.
The Government says EQC will work with homeowners to agree a payment amount so repairs can be made.
The changes mean 84 percent of EQC claims on hand in May 2018 have now been resolved, the Government says.
In June, the EQC payout threshold increased from $100,000 to $150,000. Woods said people had been trapped with homes that had previously gone over the $100,000 cap.
"The on-sold over cap issue has been an absolute nightmare for some Cantabrians."