Threat forcing closure near Auckland Airport 'not a legitimate one', police say after investigation

Police have found nothing suspicious at a location near Auckland Airport where they were a told bomb had been planted.

A caller to 111 just after 6:30am on Monday claimed there was a bomb in a building on Geoffrey Roberts Rd. Police evacuated the building and others nearby as quickly as they could, Insp Joe Hunter said.

"Following the evacuation we brought in specialist search terms to search the grounds externally and internally, and we're satisfied that they're safe." 

Roads near Auckland Airport were blocked off and flights temporarily suspended. There were delays heading into the airport, with sections of Laurence Stevens Dr and Geoffrey Roberts Rd closed.

Auckland Airport said on its Twitter account flights were temporarily stopped at the request of the police. 

Flight tracking websites showed landings resumed just before 9:15am. Planes were forced to fly in circles awaiting approval to land. 

auckland flights
Flights were forced to go in circles before they could land. Photo credit: Flight Radar/Newshub.

Hunter said the caller gave a deadline for the bomb to go off, but wouldn't reveal what it was. He said police weren't sure why that particular building was targeted. 

"Police are satisfied the threat was not a legitimate one... We want to reassure the public that we take these threats seriously and respond accordingly, and thank members of the public for their patience while our work was carried out."

Earlier that morning, taxi and Uber drivers told Newshub they weren't told what is happening.

"Nothing," one taxi driver said. "Just we're not allowed to park here... I came here to park my car and the police stopped me." 

"I don't have any clue what has happened," another said. "We are in the dark... It's all good... They want to stop any bad things, they are protecting us."

One driver said nothing like this has ever happened in the 10 years he's been taking passengers to Auckland Airport.

"There will be a criminal investigation... to try and find the person responsible," Hunter said.


Staff have been evacuated.
Staff have been evacuated. Photo credit: Newshub.