A piece of plastic has been found in a packet of baby food purchased from a Wellington Countdown supermarket.
Christie Wilson's dad was feeding her nine-mouth-old son an Only Organic pumpkin, potato and beef dinner sachet bought from the Crofton Downs store when he noticed the baby wasn't swallowing his mouthful.
"It was such a big bit of plastic that I don't know how he even managed to get it in his mouth," she told Newshub.
"The photo doesn't do it justice... how big it was."
Her photo shows the orange piece of plastic next to a ruler. It appears to measure approximately 1.5cm by 2cm.
Wilson said her young son is "totally fine" but is worried he "could have been killed" because of how hard it was and the size of the piece.
Her concern is there may be more fractured pieces in other products because it looks like it's broken off a larger piece of plastic, she said.
Wilson said she is speaking out to help "get the word out" so other parents can be cautious.
Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) compliance director Gary Orr said the incident is currently being followed up with the manufacturer and will include an onsite visit to assess their processes.
"The safety and wellbeing of consumers is our number one priority and we are looking into the matter to determine if there is any further risk to the public," he said.
He said MPI will take action if needed, and this may include a recall of the product.