The four-year-old boy injured in an incident Papatoetoe on Monday which claimed the lives of his parents remains in critical condition, police said on Friday.
They've formally named the woman as 32-year-old Sherine Nath, confirming earlier media reports.
The other person is believed to be her husband, Ricky Nath, whom she reportedly recently reconciled with after a separation.
Local Fijian-Indian community leader Prakash Prasad told Newshub on Tuesday he recently saw the man and they'd discussed his marital issues.
"As far as I know, I think he was not supposed to be in this home," Prasad said.
"If a person is not happy in his life, move on, move forward; you have no right to take anyone's life. End of story."
Friends of the couple say they had separated some months ago and that police had been involved at the time. But recently, the pair had decided to give their marriage another chance.
Where to find help and support:
- Shine (domestic violence) - 0508 744 633
- Women's Refuge - 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE)
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- What's Up - 0800 WHATS UP (0800 942 8787)
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email firstname.lastname@example.org or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Shakti Community Council - 0800 742 584