The Catholic Church here in New Zealand says there is no need to cancel Mass, despite warnings from health officials against attending large gatherings of people.
A man who went to a service at a south Auckland church a week ago later tested positive for COVID-19. The man, in his 60s, had recently returned from a trip to the United States and did not show symptoms when he went to St Mary's in Papakura last Sunday morning.
Acting director of the Catholic National Liturgy Office, Father John O'Connor, the Church is taking the Ministry of Health's advice that there's no need to cancel public gatherings.
"The moment they say there is a need to cancel we will immediately respond by cancelling Masses, but at the moment there is no need," O'Connor told Newshub.
He added the parish is reaching out to those the person got in contact with.
"Thankfully we know what time, what day, what church and we're able to respond to that," O'Connor told Newshub.
The Auckland man had been to New Jersey and Houston. He has now reportedly recovered after self-isolating at home.
"Nothing to worry about there, she's all behind us. Everybody else was worried, not me," he told Stuff.
He also praised Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's "sharp" actions to halt the virus' spread.