Dunedin blaze spews toxic smoke across Burnside

The fire could take a while to put out, firefighters say. Photo credit: File

Six fire engines are battling a Dunedin inferno spewing toxic smoke.

The blaze at Burnside, near Kaikorai Valley Rd, began on Saturday, but flared up again just after 2am Monday morning. 

Fire and Emergency shift manager Brent Dunn is urging locals to stay inside - which they perhaps already should be, thanks to the pandemic lockdown - but also to close their windows.

He told Newshub it is likely to take a while to extinguish the fire, and a hazardous materials unit is on the scene. 

"We are currently working to get an understanding on the toxicity of the fumes," Fire and Emergency said in a statement.