The man who last year was found guilty of murdering Grace Millane is appealing his conviction.
Rachael Reed QC told Newshub the man, who has name suppression, is appealing both his conviction and sentence.
The killer was convicted of murder in November last year after a four-week trial at Auckland's High Court.
Millane, from Essex, England, was in New Zealand on an overseas experience, having travelled here from South America.
She was reported missing on December 5, 2018 after she failed to contact her family on her birthday on December 2.
The backpacker's disappearance spurred a police investigation that gripped the nation and shocked the world.
Social media networks were inundated with missing person posts shared by her family while David Millane flew to New Zealand to make an appeal for information.
On December 8, a 27-year-old man - who had been seen on CCTV footage entering an Auckland hotel with Millane - was charged with her murder.
The young Brit's body was found a day later in a bush off Scenic Dr in the Waitakere Ranges.
The prosecution said Millane was murdered in the Auckland Central CityLife hotel on either December 1 or 2, 2018, following a four-hour-long Tinder date with the killer.
He was sentenced to to life imprisonment with a minimum non-parole period of 17 years in the Auckland High Court in February.