Massey police shooting: 24yo man accused of murdering Constable Matthew Hunt denies all charges

The 24-year-old man accused of murdering Constable Matthew Hunt has denied all charges in the High Court in Auckland. 

The murder-accused has also maintained his interim name suppression during the brief appearance.

He faces three charges including murder, attempted murder and dangerous driving causing injury.

As the man entered the dock, he made a gesture by nodding to supporters in the public gallery. He appeared alongside a 30-year-old woman, who police allege was an accessory after the fact to the murder. She has also denied her charges. Security separated both people in the dock throughout their appearance.

Name suppression has continued for both the 24-year-old man and 30-year-old woman as part of the ongoing police investigation. 

The trial is due to go ahead in July 2021.

Matthew Hunt's murder-accused in the dock at Auckland High Court on Wednesday, July 8.
Matthew Hunt's murder-accused in the dock at Auckland High Court on Wednesday, July 8. Photo credit: Newshub

The court appearance comes a day before Constable Hunt's private funeral service, to be held at Eden Park. The farewell was pushed back to July 9 as relatives completed their mandatory managed isolation period after arriving from overseas.

In a statement released on Saturday, police said Hunt's family had agreed to share the Constable's farewell via livestream.

"We are grateful to Matthew's family, and in particular his mum, for allowing Matthew's police family to be an integral part of his final farewell," Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said.

"There is no greater honour we can bestow on a colleague who has made the ultimate sacrifice."

Constable Hunt, 28, was fatally shot while undertaking a routine traffic stop in the Auckland suburb of Massey on Friday, June 19. 

A second officer and a pedestrian were also injured in the shooting, the former shot in the leg and the latter hit by the accused's vehicle as he fled the scene. Both have since been discharged from hospital.

It was revealed in June that Hunt's uncle and aunt, who arrived from Australia, were sent to complete their 14 days of managed isolation in Rotorua. Hunt's sister was also sent to a quarantine facility upon arrival.

"Everyone's apart from each other and that's just adding incredibly to the stress," Police Association president Chris Cahill told Newshub.

The 28-year-old has been described as "incredible" with a "wonderful" personality and a man who was extremely dedicated to his role as an officer. His family said it was Hunt's "life-long dream" to be a policeman.