The identity of the man accused of murdering Const Matthew Hunt will remain a secret for at least another two weeks.
The 24-year-old was granted interim name suppression at his first appearance in court in June. At a hearing in the High Court in Auckland on Thursday, Justice Geoffrey Venning granted an adjournment until July 31 to allow the case to be considered on its merits.
The accused, who is charged with murder, attempted murder and dangerous driving causing injury, was not present in court. He entered not guilty pleas to all charges earlier this month, and will stand trial next year.
An Auckland woman accused of assisting him has been charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder. Her name is also suppressed.
On June 19, Hunt, 28, was fatally shot while undertaking a routine traffic stop on Reynella Dr in Massey, west Auckland. His colleague, who was shot in the leg during the attack, was discharged from hospital three days later. A member of the public was also hospitalised.
Hunt began his police career in October 2017. He later worked on the frontline in Orewa, Helensville and in the Waitemata road policing team.
The young officer was farewelled during a private funeral service at Eden Park last Thursday. Following an outpouring of support from the public, Hunt's family decided to share the service via livestream. As relatives had returned from overseas, the funeral was delayed while they completed their 14 days of mandatory managed isolation.
Hunt has been remembered as an "incredible" man with a "wonderful personality" who loved his job. His family said it had always been his dream to become a police officer.
"Matthew was a person of great integrity," said a statement from his family.
"His closest friends were like his brothers and sisters and they along with his family are absolutely heartbroken by what has happened."