Auckland man arrested after pointing gun at officers during police pursuit

A firearm found at the scene was loaded.
A firearm found at the scene was loaded. Photo credit: Supplied / Newshub.

A 28-year-old man will be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" after pointing a firearm at officers during a police pursuit in west Auckland on Wednesday morning.

The incident occurred just after 10:30am, when a police unit signalled two dirt bike riders to pull over in the suburb of Glen Eden.

Police say the pair failed to stop and separated from one another. Police then decided to pursue one of the riders, who came to a stop on Brunner Rd.

After being approached by officers and told he wasn't allowed to leave the area, the man then "pulled out a firearm and presented it at police", according to Waitematā's District Commander, Superintendent Naila Hassan.

"Our staff have attempted to defuse the situation and the man has continued on foot, entering a nearby address on Brunner Road," she said.

The man later came out of the property, where he was arrested and taken into custody without incident.

Police later found a loaded firearm at the scene.

The 28-year-old is now assisting police with enquiries, and Supt Hassan says the officers involved in the incident are being supported.

"I want to acknowledge all attending staff for their professionalism in responding to what was a fast-moving incident," she said.

"Our police staff come to work every day to help keep our communities safe and it is incredibly fortunate that no staff were injured as a result of this incident. This man's actions are totally unacceptable and we have no tolerance whatsoever for this sort of behaviour."

Police say while enquiries are ongoing, charges will be laid against the man.

"Any person who thinks it is acceptable to present a firearm at police officers going about their duties will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

The latest incident came less than 48 hours after a man pulled a gun on police officers at a traffic stop in Auckland CBD on Monday. Officers managed to remove the weapon from the man and he was taken into custody.