The NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) has confirmed to Newshub that all going to plan the Auckland Harbour Bridge will be open to all eight lanes by the end of next week.
Work will happen overnight this Saturday to install the permanent 22m beam. Loads will be tested next week, meaning it could be back to normal for Auckland drivers by next Friday.
Waka Kotahi NZTA transport services general manager Brett Gliddon says the permanent fix for the bridge is tracking well.
"Subject to the manufacturing being complete this week and the final checks being complete, and the weather being good at the weekend, we are planning to make a closure of the Harbour Bridge southbound on Saturday night into Sunday morning to install that strut," he told Newshub.
"We're ahead of [the] programme at the moment so that's the positive, but we're not out of the woods yet. [There's] still quite a lot to happen but the team has been working so hard to get this up and running."
The bridge damage came after 127km/h winds caused a truck crash earlier this month, damaging the bridge's structure. A temporary fix has been in place since, allowing three lanes to be open in each direction.
Gliddon said there's always the potential risk of damage to the bridge.
"To look like we're going to have the permanent go in at the weekend is quite remarkable and just shows you what Kiwis can do," Gliddon said.
Strong gusts continue to threaten the bridge on Tuesday morning, forcing the NZTA to close three lanes for an hour.