Coronavirus: Movements of New Zealand's new community case

The virus was most likely contracted at the border, not from within the community.
The virus was most likely contracted at the border, not from within the community. Photo credit: Getty

One new community case of COVID-19 was announced on Sunday.

The case has been caught early and the risk of onward transmission is contained, Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield announced at a media briefing on Sunday.

The case is a man who has worked on two different vessels at the Ports of Auckland and Taranaki in the last 14 days. 

Dr Bloomfield told reporters he most likely contracted the virus at the border and not from within the community.

Here's an overview of his movements.

Sunday, October 18

The ship that the man worked on is en route to Napier and will arrive Sunday afternoon.

People on the vessel are being treated as close contacts.

Once the crew arrive in Napier they will be met by public health staff, isolated and tested.

No one on board is currently symptomatic.

Saturday, October 17

The man returned a positive test result in the afternoon.

Contact tracing and testing were immediately put into place to ensure there are no more associated cases.

Close contacts are in self-isolation or have gone into a quarantine facility.

Friday, October 16

The man left work after developing respiratory symptoms and immediately went home.

On the way home, he stopped and was tested for COVID-19.

Thursday, October 15 

The man could have been infectious.

He did not go to work and only went out once to pick up food.

Wednesday, October 14

The man could have been infectious.

He travelled to Auckland from New Plymouth in the evening.

He was in New Plymouth working on a ship at the Port of Taranaki.

Tuesday, October 13

The man travelled to New Plymouth alone in his vehicle.

He checked into a motel and hotel on two different evenings.

There are not believed to be any close contacts from the accommodation facilities, but CCTV is being checked.

The rooms are being deep-cleaned and it's believed there are no close contacts at the establishments.

Friday, October 2

The man returned a negative test from the Ports of Auckland.

What we know:

  • The man was not at the Ports of Auckland during his infectious period.
  • The man has been tested fortnightly over the past few months.
  • His job requires him and the crew on the vessel he worked on to wear a mask and gloves.
  • Genome sequencing will be performed to identify whether the man had a link to Auckland's most recent cluster, which emerged in August.