Man shot dead by police after firearms incident in Papatoetoe, Auckland named

The man who died after being shot by police during a firearms incident in Papatoetoe, Auckland on Thursday night has been named.

Police have identified him as Tangaru-Noere Turia, aged 34, of Auckland.

"Police is working to support Mr Turia's family at this very difficult time," says Counties Manukau District Commander Superintendent Jill Rogers.

"They have asked that they be allowed to grieve the loss of their family member in private and do not wish to speak with media at this time."

Supt Rogers said there are unlikely to be any further updates until an investigation into the incident is complete.

Turia died on Thursday night, shortly after being shot three times by officers following a tense standoff lasting several hours.

Supt Rogers said specialist negotiators had tried to talk the man down after shots were fired into a neighbouring home. At around 8:30pm, two-and-a-half hours after police arrived at the Avis Ave address, the man emerged from the house holding a shotgun.

"He continued to show aggressive and erratic behaviour," she said. "He showed up outside the house unexpectedly and brandished a firearm."

The scene on Avis Ave, Papatoetoe on Friday morning.
The scene on Avis Ave, Papatoetoe on Friday morning. Photo credit: Newshub.

He refused to lower the shotgun, and was shot three times by police. Rogers said officers on the scene immediately gave the man first aid, with the assistance of specialist paramedics.

He was then taken to Middlemore Hospital where he died at 10:30pm.

"It is the worst possible decision for a police officer to take someone's life," Supt Rogers said. "Anything involving firearms is of the upper end of what police have to deal with."

A neighbour told The AM Show the incident terrified his wife and young son.

"She was inside, scared. My son was scared too, he didn't want to go to school - he said he wanted to stay with his nana," Feras Mousses said on Friday.

Mousses was at work and was not allowed to pass through the police cordon to be with his family.

Footage filmed by another neighbour on Friday night showed tense moments from the standoff. A member of the Armed Offenders Squad can be seen pulling apart boards from a neighbour's fence to enter the property.

A police dog could also be seen following an officer around the side of the property.

An Eagle helicopter had also been deployed.