A man who allegedly made online threats to several people and organisations and damaged buildings in central Dunedin has been arrested.
Just after 9:30am on Tuesday, police received reports a man had damaged a business in Princes St and the Dunedin City Council buildings in The Octagon.
Police say they arrived at the council and found the man they were searching for in relation to the online threats. He was taken into custody.
No one was injured during the damage and police say charges are being considered.
Dunedin City councillor Sophie Barker told the NZ Herald she was entering the building when she heard loud bangs and yelling in the foyer.
"I heard this huge bang and then the guy came out and went down the escalator," she says.
"It was awful - it was horrible. It was scary just to listen to. I thought a bomb had gone off, actually."
The NZ Herald reports the Dunedin City Council's reception area was full of broken glass and overturned furniture.
Earlier in the day, police were alerted to threats made against people and organisations based in Dunedin. As they searched for the person who allegedly posted the threat, police said they ensured they kept those named in the post safe.