Pack a raincoat if you're attending an Anzac service in Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington as you may be in for a few showers.
Metservice is forecasting a "mixed bag" of weather across the country for the Anzac weekend - most Anzac dawn services will stay "mainly dry" with chilly temperatures hitting the south.
Head weather analyst at Weatherwatch Philip Duncan says for most places, weather on Sunday will be a "carbon copy" of Saturday's.
Southwesterlies will be "humming through" marine areas in the North Island while temperatures will be much colder than average in the South Island, Duncan says.
Thousands of Kiwis are expected to attend Anzac services around the country on Sunday, April 25, after they were cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here's your Anzac day forecast for the main centres:
- Whangārei: Cloudy periods, showers expected to ease early morning with a bit of rain still possible. Morning temperatures ranging from 14C to 18C.
- Auckland: Cloudy periods with showers which should ease at around 3am, the odd bit of rain is still possible. It'll also be blustery as southwesterlies hit the region. Morning temperatures ranging from 15C to 18C.
- Hamilton: Cloudy periods and a few early morning showers alongside southwesterly breezes. Morning temperatures ranging from 11C to 17C.
- Tauranga: A fine day with some morning cloud and westerly winds. Morning temperatures ranging from 14C to 18C
- Taupō: Fine sunny day with some cloud and westerly breezes. Morning temperatures ranging from 10C to 14C.
- Napier: Early morning cloud and possible showers which should clear to a fine day. Morning temperatures ranging from 12C to 19C.
- Gisborne: Cloudy morning which will clear to a fine day with some southerlies. Morning temperatures ranging from 11C to 18C.
- New Plymouth: A cloudy morning with a sprinkling of showers that could turn heavy later on in the day. Westerly breezes and morning temperatures ranging from 13C to 18C.
- Palmerston North: Early morning cloud and showers which may turn heavy in the evening. Westerlies and morning temperatures ranging from 12C to 16C.
- Wellington: Morning showers then fine breaks. Showers may return again in the evening. Morning temperatures ranging from 11C to 15C.
- Nelson: A mainly fine morning with clouds and possible showers heading in from the afternoon. Morning temperatures ranging from 9C to 15C.
- Christchurch: A fine morning with rain, cloud and northerlies developing in the afternoon. Morning temperatures ranging from 6C to 14C.
- Dunedin: Cloudy periods and occasional rain in the morning and afternoon. Northerlies will turn southerly by the afternoon. Morning temperatures ranging from 8C to 12C.
- Queenstown: Partly cloudy with a bit of rain in the morning. Cool southerlies developing in the afternoon. Morning temperatures ranging from 5C to 10C.
- Invercargill: Showers with possible hail which is expected to clear by the evening. Mostly cloudy with northerlies which will later switch to southwesterlies. Morning temperatures ranging from 9C to 10C.
Metservice has issued a snowfall warning for Milford Rd from 11pm on Sunday to 5am on Monday, up to 1cm of snow may settle on the route.
On Monday, Anzac day observed, Duncan says a high in Australia will help dampen the effects of a storm below the South Island.
"The big high in Australia is stretching out so far to the north it's acting like a lid putting a cap on that southerly change."
He says those in the East will see a "quite mild" day while northern, western and southern areas will get some rain.