Auckland Viaduct shooting: People involved linked to organised crime groups - police

A shooting in Auckland's Viaduct Harbour earlier on Wednesday is linked to organised crime groups, police have confirmed.

The Armed Offenders Squad was called to luxury hotel the Sofitel on Auckland's waterfront shortly after 9am on Thursday, following reports a firearm had been discharged.

No one was injured in the incident, but it's understood the same police vehicles and ambulances sent to that initial incident were quickly rerouted to the Ōrākei Domain, 7 kilometres away. The adjacent Ōrākei Marae was placed into lockdown in response.

Detective Senior Sergeant Graham Shand said one person was located at the hotel and is helping with enquiries while a scene examination is carried out. Another two people have been located at a property in Ōrākei and are also being questioned by officers, he said.

Police Minister Poto Williams said she understood the incident arose from conflict between the Mongols and Head Hunters, telling Stuff she was concerned by the situation and that another person was still at large. 

Police told Newshub they are unsure how Williams got that information and it didn't come from them.

"Early enquiries into this incident have established that those involved appear to have links to organised crime groups," a spokesperson said.

"This is forming part of our ongoing investigation. Our investigation team will be working into the evening on the matter."

A spokesperson for Williams confirmed to Newshub she stands by her statements.

Police say they want to hear from anyone who has information that may help.

"Anyone in the vicinity of Viaduct Harbour Avenue between 9am and 10am this morning who witnessed the incident, and who hasn’t spoken with Police, is asked to come forward.

"They can call Auckland City Crime Squad on (09) 302 6557."

Auckland Viaduct shooting: People involved linked to organised crime groups - police
Photo credit: Newshub.

Photos of the incident showed police on the corner of Tamaki Dr and Kitemoana St, which was blocked off to motorists and pedestrians.

Ōrākei School, a few streets back from the domain, said it hadn't been asked to lockdown like the marae, but confirmed an Eagle helicopter had been circling the area.

The Ōrākei Community Association urged those in the area to stay indoors and told motorists to avoid Kupe St.

The school and Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Whai Maia say police have now left the scene.

The incident in Ōrākei came just hours after the Armed Offenders Squad was called to the Sofitel Viaduct Harbour on Thursday. A police spokesperson told Newshub they hadn't received any reports of injuries, but armed officers had been called in as a precaution.

A Sofitel Viaduct employee told Newshub there was a "security threat" earlier and shots fired but confirmed everything is now under control.