It's unclear whether a man who travelled from Perth to Auckland at the weekend while the Western Australian city was still in lockdown will have to pay for his stay in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).
Officials said the man arrived in Auckland from Perth on Sunday after travelling via Sydney.
Quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and Western Australia was temporarily suspended last week when Perth and nearby Peel entered a snap three-day lockdown, after community cases of COVID-19 were detected in the city.
After initially travelling to Northland upon arriving in Auckland the man, who apparently knew he wasn't supposed to be travelling to New Zealand, is now in MIQ - but who will foot the bill is still being decided.
"Due to the complexity of this particular situation, MIQ is still assessing whether the individual concerned is liable to pay for their stay in managed isolation," a spokesperson told Newshub.
"There remain a number of details to be confirmed about the returnee's travel arrangements which will ultimately determine whether they are liable or not."
The Ministry of Health has said the matter remains under investigation and wouldn't comment on potential enforcement. Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said on Wednesday anyone found guilty of similar alleged breaches could face a large fine or imprisonment.
"If a person is convicted of breaching the air border order, they could face a fine of up to $4000 or six months' imprisonment," Dr Bloomfield told a news conference.
Perth emerged from its lockdown earlier this week and quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and Western Australia has since resumed.