Port Hills fire: Homeowners win $12 million lawsuit against Christchurch Adventure Park

Christchurch Adventure Park has been ordered to pay $12 million to homeowners whose properties were destroyed and damaged in the Port Hills fires in 2017.

A High Court judgement found the adventure park was liable for negligence over flammable chairs on the chairlift, which continued operating during the fire.

The molten plastic dripped into dry pine slash, sending flames further.

Jo Kinley is one of 42 homeowners awarded part of $12 million in a lawsuit against the adventure park.

"It was bad enough to lose your house but they've had to go another whole four years of being out of pocket - severely." Kinley told Newshub.

"The thing about this judgement is the adventure park made a mistake and they made a mistake which caused catastrophic damage to these properties."

Kinley says she was lucky her house only suffered smoke damage. 

Others had their entire homes destroyed. 

Kieran Graces' home was one of a number of houses destroyed by the February 15 fire.

"The adventure park's decision to protect its own assets at the expense of its neighbours' has caused us so much grief and we continue to deal with the loss that we suffered," he told Newshub.

The 365 hectare adventure park was opened just two months before the fire. It cost $25 million to develop.

Insurance Council of NZ says this sends a strong message to people managing property.

"In terms of the insured loss from the fire was $18-$19 million so $12 million reward here is really significant," Insurance Council CEO Tim Grafton said.

On Thursday, Christchurch Adventure Park said it is "considering" the High Court's findings.

"The Christchurch Adventure Park says it has received the High Court judgment in the Port Hills fires matter and is currently considering the Court's findings. Christchurch Adventure Park's current operations continue as usual," it wrote.

The ruling is a win for the homeowners, but some things are lost forever. 

"Houses can be replaced, couches can be replaced but family history can never be replaced," Grace said.

The history of the fire - still visible four years on.