Two people have been charged after a child suffered horrific injuries at his home in Flaxmere last year.
The four-year-old boy sustained permanent brain damage after being severely injured at the Hastings property in January 2020.
Police said the boy has made a remarkable recovery after what one officer said was one of the worst child abuse cases he'd seen.
On Wednesday, more than 16 months after the attack, police confirmed two people have now been charged.
"A 32-year-old woman has today been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, neglect and nine counts of assaulting a child," a police statement said. "A 27-year-old man is also charged with neglect, and with injuring with intent."
The statement said both those charged are due to appear in the Hastings District Court on Tuesday.
Det Sgt Heath Jones said anyone with any further information is urged to contact police on 105.
"As this matter is now before the courts, police will not be making any further comment."
In February last year, the boy's grandfather criticised Oranga Tamariki for returning him to the Flaxmere home - after it was revealed he'd been in his grandmother's care in Auckland.
"The bad things that have happened with the experience I've had with them have now led to my moko now being hurt again," Dion Te Ahu told Newsroom.
"When I heard what had happened, from a medical perspective, it was shattering."
In a statement at the time, Oranga Tamariki said it was satisfied there was sufficient support from wider whānau and professionals for the boy to be returned to his immediate family.