Police resolve incident with man in Grey Lynn house after reports he threatened people with a weapon

Police resolve incident with man in Grey Lynn house after reports he threatened people with a weapon
Photo credit: Getty Images

Police have resolved an incident involving an armed man at a property in central Auckland after reports he was aggressive and threatened others with a weapon.

A police spokesperson says they were called to the scene on Great North Rd in Grey Lynn before 2pm on Friday afternoon.

"It has been reported to police that the man was making threats towards people and was in possession of a weapon," the spokesperson said.

Police found the man at a nearby property and attempted to negotiate with him.

Superintendent Karyn Malthus, Auckland City District Commander, said the incident is now resolved.

They said they were earlier notified about a man who had arrived at the premises of a family harm support agency, acting aggressively and making threats to its staff.

"The man left that premises and returned to his address on Great North Rd, where he has continued to act aggressively towards neighbours. Police were called and attended this address," said Supt Malthus.

"While Police have attempted to engage with the man, he has thrown a knife through a window at an officer. The knife has shattered the glass, narrowly avoiding the officer.

"However, the officer has suffered facial cuts from the glass as a result. They have received medical treatment and we will ensure there is wellness support available."

A cordon was set up around the property and police attempted to negotiate with him, but he continued to make threats and brandish various weapons.

After more than an hour, police entered the address with the man continuing to act aggressively and refusing to engage with Police. Upon entering, a hammer was thrown at an officer.

"Police have deployed taser and a police dog in order to apprehend the man. He has suffered injuries in the process and has since been taken to Auckland City Hospital," said Supt Malthus.

Police have enquiries underway and expect to lay charges. The Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) will also be notified of the incident and will investigate.

Enquiries are underway into the circumstances of the man's actions today and it is expected that charges will be laid.