COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins says the two new cases in Waikato are "reasonably well contained", so the region's alert level 3 boundary doesn't need to be extended.
The two COVID-19 cases, one in Kāwhia and the other in Karāpiro, were announced earlier on Wednesday. These come after two initial cases were found in Waikato on Sunday and parts of the region, including Raglan and Hamilton City, were put under a snap level 3 lockdown.
Wednesday's two cases are a part of nine new infections in Waikato.
Hipkins says a decision whether or not to extend the Waikato lockdown boundary isn't required "immediately", but it is under review. He says it can be implemented quickly if there are developments in the next 24 to 48 hours.
"It is quite a contained community from what I gather from the people who've been up there doing that work and there's a good degree of cooperation and compliance there," he said during Wednesday's COVID-19 update.
"But yes it is possible that we would extend the boundary. One of the questions would be exactly where does the boundary go to because if you take Kāwhia and Karāpiro, that potentially extends the boundary quite a big way."
Kāwhia is just south of the boundary near Raglan and Karāpiro is east of the border.
There are 18 total COVID-19 cases in Waikato, all of which are currently active. One person in the region is also in hospital.