Vaccination certificates will play a key part in New Zealand's freedoms under the new framework announced by the Government on Friday morning.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said if you are vaccinated it won't matter what setting New Zealand is in, you will have a number of freedoms.
"If you want to be guaranteed that no matter what setting we are in, that you can go to bars, restaurants and close proximity businesses like a hairdresser, you will need to be vaccinated."
The Prime Minister made it clear on Friday those who aren't vaccinated will miss out.
"If you want summer, if you want to go to bars and restaurants get vaccinated, if you want to get a hair cut - get vaccinated."
"If you are not vaccinated there will be everyday things you will miss out on," Ardern added.
For the vaccinated though, Ardern says you will be able to enjoy life while being protected from COVID-19.
"You will be able to enjoy the things you love, secure in the knowledge that the people around you and the environment you are in is as safe as possible in a COVID world."
Under the new framework, businesses will be allowed to open and operate no matter what setting the country is in as long as vaccination certificates are enforced.
"With vaccine certificates at red, orange and green business will be able to continue to open and operate," said the Prime Minister.
If certificates have been implemented at marae, places of worship, events, gyms and hospitality venues, they will be able to operate without limits or restrictions under green or orange. There will be some restrictions under red.
If certificates aren't used at these venues heavy restrictions will be enforced.
Under green level, these restrictions will be
- Hospitality — up to 100 people, based on 1m physical distancing, seated and separated
- Gatherings (for example weddings, places of worship, marae) — up to 100 people, based on 1m physical distancing
- Events (indoor/outdoor) — up to 100 people, based on 1m physical distancing, seated and separated
- Close contact businesses — face coverings for staff, 1m distancing between customers
- Gyms — up to 100 people, based on 1m physical distancing
Under orange level, these restrictions will be
- Hospitality — contactless only
- Gatherings (for example weddings, places of worship, marae) — up to 50 people, based on 1m distancing
- Events (indoor/outdoor), gyms and close contact businesseswill not be able to operate at all
Deputy Prime Minister Grant Robertson says those businesses that don't implement the certificate could miss out on Government support.
"It is my personal preference that any payment will not be made available to those businesses that should be operating using a vaccine certificate regime."
Robertson admitted for that to be done, there is still more work for the Government to do to ensure that is legal.