'Hīkoi of Truth': Woman arrested as protesters remain at Auckland's southern border

Police say one woman was arrested today as the anti-lockdown hīkoi remains at Auckland's southern border.

Participants of the 'hīkoi' - a communal march typically as a form of protest - are aiming to travel to Waitangi in the Northland region to gather in the name of "freedom".

But their attempts to break through the lockdown boundaries have angered police and iwi leaders, who are condemning their actions.

"Shortly after midday, a vehicle at the northern checkpoint at Te Hana blocked SH1 northbound," a police spokesperson says in an update on Wednesday evening.

"A woman was arrested and warned for obstruction and the vehicle was removed from the road."

Police say there are now no protesters at the northern checkpoint, however protestors remain at the southern boundary checkpoint.

A convoy of around 50 vehicles and roughly 100 people arrived at the southern checkpoint in Mercer shortly before midnight - despite an earlier warning from police that no one would be permitted to cross the border without an exemption.

"Police at the southern checkpoint at Mercer have been engaging with a group of protesters, including the occupants of two vehicles - a car and a bus deliberately parked to obstruct traffic on SH1," the spokesperson says.

"Occupants of the bus did not have evidence of permitted travel and after lengthy engagement with police, the protesters agreed to move the bus off the highway late this afternoon."

The protestors remain off to the side of the road, with traffic able to move safely through the checkpoints. Police are still considering possible enforcement action over this.

"The protesters' actions today have caused disruption and delays for those travelling through the checkpoint for legitimate reasons," the police spokesperson says.

"We are frustrated that significant time and resources are being committed to resolve this situation and we are very disappointed by the actions of this group of protestors who continue to put the wider community and our staff at risk."