Weather: Remnants of Cyclone Cody could hit New Zealand after run of hot fine days

The warm weather around the country is set to continue with Kiwis in for another week of hot temperatures. 

MetService is predicting a settled week of fine weather but the remnants of a tropical cyclone near Fiji could hit New Zealand next week.

MetService says it's "a great week for spending time outdoors" with the high pressure that surrounds New Zealand remaining in place for the rest of the week. This should bring fine, dry conditions but there could be a few odd showers.

The warm temperatures New Zealanders have been enjoying should continue but that could change later in the week.

"Maximum temperatures hover around the mid to high twenties, but a change to southerly winds forecast for the middle of the week will cool things off a bit," MetService says.

"This change will be most noticeable along the east coasts where temperatures will struggle to get up to 20C."

Any Kiwis looking to head down to the Blackcaps v Bangladesh test match in Christchurch over the next three days should bring the sunscreen along with fine weather on the cards, although MetService warns there is a chance of a shower on day four or five [Wednesday, Thursday].

"People going along to the Hagley Oval in Christchurch to watch Ross Taylor's final match can enjoy sunny skies and warm temperatures today and tomorrow, but cooler conditions and the odd shower are expected during the final two days," comments Corrigan.

Meanwhile, Tropical Cyclone Cody is a category 1 storm that MetService warns could cause high waves and strong easterly winds. 

"There is still a high amount of uncertainty surrounding the impact that this system may have in a week's time, but we are monitoring it closely and will keep everyone updated," MetService meteorologist Dan Corrigan says.

"However, based off current information we can say with more confidence that there is a risk of high waves and strong easterly winds along the east coast of Northland this weekend."

WeatherWatch says there is a 60 percent chance of Cyclone Cody hitting North Island beaches in a week's time. 

"Currently there's a 40 percent chance of Cody's remnants impacting New Zealand's weather in a week and a 60 percent chance of it impacting North Island beaches (increased rips/currents/swells)," WeatherWatch says.