Popular Christchurch dog walking park closed after dog dies from suspected poisoning

A popular dog walking park in Christchurch has been closed after a dog died from a suspected poisoning. 

The Christchurch City Council has closed the Groynes Reserve Dog Park prompting a warning to dog owners.

A perfect autumn day for a stroll turned into disappointment for eager dogs and their owners.

They arrived to the news the park has been closed until further notice following a dog dying from suspected poisoning.

"I hope it's not related to some malicious event," one said.

Christchurch City Council park rangers spent the day searching the dog park and surrounds for any evidence of toxic bacteria and algae following the sudden death of a two-and-a-half-year-old chocolate labrador earlier this week. But they said they didn't find any traces.

In a post to social media, the dog owner said she brought her dog Chief to the Groynes Dog Park and a few hours later he began shaking so she took him to the vet.

Since sharing the warning others have posted about their dogs also becoming sick and vomiting since visiting the park.

"I don't know if I want to bring my dog back here after that because I don't want him to get sick or anything," one dog owner said.

The New Zealand Veterinary Association warns to look out for mould, poisonous plants and fungi when out walking in autumn and to watch for signs of shaking, vomiting or an upset stomach.

Further advice from the Animal Poisons Hotline for concerned dog owners that have seen their eat something toxic is to "try to rinse or wipe out the mouth with a damp towel/flannel. Do not give your pet anything to eat or drink before speaking with the Animal Poisons Helpline or a vet."

And "never induce vomiting unless advised to do so by the Animal Poisons Helpline or a vet".

They recommend keeping your dog on the lead if you aren't sure of what dangers could be around.