Concerns tranquility of quiet suburbs erased after North Shore stabbing

A man has appeared in court via audio-visual link charged in connection with the stabbing that left four people injured on Auckland's North Shore on Thursday.

The public has again been reassured by the police it was an isolated incident.

Twenty-four hours after the stabbing spree sent two beautiful North Shore beaches into lockdown, plenty of people were back at play.

"There's always lots of people walking along the beach… we just don't see anything here… it just seems like it was quite a random act," one resident said.

"We knew that it was going to be safe down here today," another person told Newshub.

"We walk along here a lot and have done for years so it was a bit close to home. We decided not to walk yesterday we were thankful we didn't," another said.

But others voiced concerns the tranquillity of the usually quiet suburbs has been erased.

"This is one of the nicest areas to live in Auckland. Everybody looks out for one another. 

"There's never a problem here. It's sad to see people getting pressure on them like this causing this sort of thing," another resident said.

Newshub has spoken to the family of one of the victims who said they've been comforted by friends - but she doesn't want to talk about her ordeal just yet. 

The family of another woman who was stabbed told Newshub she was OK and had given a statement to police.

Four people were injured in the attack before members of the public intervened at Mairangi Bay.

The man whose crutch was used told Newshub that five or six people ended up following the assailant.

One of them asked to borrow the crutch before he and another man with a stick simultaneously hit the attacker in the leg and head, breaking the crutch and knocking him out.

The attacker was taken to the hospital and placed under police guard. 

"A 41-year-old Murrays Bay man has appeared in court charged with four counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and one count of assault using a knife as a weapon. He'll next appear in court in three weeks," Waitematā District Commander Supt Naila Hassan said.

Police said officers have maintained an increased presence in the area as the investigation continues.