Police shut down part of K Rd after chaotic scenes at Neck Of The Woods bar

Chaotic scenes forced the closure of parts of Auckland's Karangahape Rd on Friday night, with police swarming the road in large numbers.

A police spokesperson told Newshub a number of "disorder-related" incidents resulted in police cordoning off parts of K Road near Queen St at about 9pm on Friday.

"[Police] worked to disperse groups who had gathered."

A person who had seen a video of the violent incident on social media said, "a whole bunch" of people threw chairs and barricades inside an Auckland venue.

It's believed the events unfolded at the underground bar Neck Of The Woods. 

A witness who was having dinner at nearby restaurant Coco's Cantina told the NZ Herald he saw quite a few motorbikes with the riders wearing Hells Angels and Mongrel Mob insignia go past at 8:15pm.

Video shared on Twitter by a person attending a show at the venue shows a large number of police officers lined up along one section of K Road and surrounding the entrance to Neck Of The Woods.

One person who attended the show told the Herald the support acts were performing when the club turned the lights on and told everyone to leave without any explanation.

Police arrested a 33-year-old man who was charged with possessing an offensive weapon and a 59-year-old man who was charged with assault and wilful damage. 

The 33-year-old will appear in Auckland District Court on Saturday and the 59-year-old will appear on September 29. 

A spokesperson for Neck of the Woods said they are committed to creating a "safe, friendly and inclusive community environment".

"Behaviour that makes people feel unsafe or uncomfortable is not welcome at Neck of the Woods and we do not tolerate any kind of behaviour that takes away from other people's ability to enjoy their night out," they told Newshub.

"Last night there was a confrontation between two groups on the street outside Neck of the Woods. One group came inside the venue, the second group attempted to pursue them inside and then to force entry into the venue when the door was locked.

"Fortunately, our security team successfully kept the group outside the venue until police arrived. There were no incidents inside the venue."

As the situation escalated, Neck of the Woods decided to shut down the event to ensure everyone was kept safe.

"We are relieved the confrontation did not erupt inside the venue leading to what could have been far worse outcomes for many. We're proud of our security team who did a great job last night, despite being heavily outnumbered," the spokesperson said.

"We want to make clear that this was an isolated incident and does not reflect the spirit of our community."