Suitcase murders: South Korean authorities extradite suspect to NZ

The woman accused of murdering two children found in suitcases in south Auckland earlier this year has been handed over to New Zealand authorities in Korea.

In a statement, the Korean Ministry of Justice confirmed the 42-year-old woman was handed over at Incheon International Airport near Seoul on Monday night.

New evidence had also been passed on, the statement added.

"Significant pieces of evidence were secured and provided without any delays upon the request of New Zealand through Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters, while the suspect was being surrendered to New Zealand through extradition," the statement said.

Det Insp Tofilau Fa'amanuia Vaaelua, of Counties Manukau, confirmed the 42-year-old woman arrived in New Zealand on Tuesday afternoon after three police officers travelled to South Korea to transport her back. She was expected to appear in the Manukau District Court on Wednesday, Vaaelua said in a statement.

"The investigation team would like to acknowledge the assistance from agencies both in New Zealand and South Korea, which has meant we have been able to put an alleged offender put before the court."

In September, South Korean police arrested the unidentified woman who was "hiding in an apartment" in the city of Ulsan.

The Korean Ministry of Justice received a request from New Zealand for her provisional arrest in connection with the death of the children.

The woman told Korean reporters as she was bundled into a car: "I didn't do it."

It was a major development almost 10,000 kilometres away from the south Auckland suburb of Manurewa where the children's bodies were first discovered in suitcases.

In August, the human remains of two primary school-aged children were discovered at an address on Moncrieff Ave in the south Auckland suburb of Manurewa.

Newshub later revealed the remains were unknowingly taken by a family to their Manurewa home who'd bid and won an auction for abandoned goods in a SafeStore Papatoetoe storage facility.

The children were aged between 5 and 10 years old and had been dead for a long time. Police said the suitcases had been in storage in Auckland for at least three or four years.