Offender hospitalised with serious injuries after dramatic fleeing driver incident across Auckland

An offender is in hospital with serious injuries after fleeing from police in a stolen vehicle before attempting to hijack a car from a member of the public. 

Police said in a statement the incident began just before 5am in Epsom, central Auckland, when the offender unsuccessfully tried to steal a vehicle by allegedly presenting a gun at a driver on Gillies Avenue.

After the failed attempt, the offender then got into another stolen vehicle and left the area, police said

The police helicopter was in the area and located the vehicle and monitored it travelling to an address on Cedar Heights Avenue in Massey.

"At the property, the offender has attempted to evade the Eagle crew observing from above but instead was allegedly seen getting into another vehicle," police said.

"A pursuit was engaged, and he has allegedly driven this vehicle at speed, entering the motorway network on Royal Road."

Offender hospitalised with serious injuries after dramatic fleeing driver incident across Auckland
Photo credit: Newshub

Police said spikes were successfully deployed on the on-ramp but the offender continued to travel at speed and exited the motorway at Lincoln Road.

"At this point, he has allegedly driven at two members of the public and attempted to steal their vehicles," police said.

Superintendent Naila Hassan said police arrived at the same time and a patrol vehicle has collided with the offender.

"He is being taken to Auckland Hospital with serious injuries and an investigation is now underway into what has occurred," Hassan said. 

"I would like to acknowledge our staff who have brought an increasingly volatile situation to a conclusion this morning, without any further harm inflicted on the wider community."

Police said they found the gun inside the stolen vehicle the offender had been travelling in from Epsom.

Police on Cedar Heights Avenue in Massey.
Police on Cedar Heights Avenue in Massey. Photo credit: Newshub

Police will now conduct several investigations into Monday morning’s incident, including looking into the man’s actions.

"Police anticipate charges will be laid against the 37-year-old man, who is under Police guard in hospital," she said.

"As standard procedure in these instances, we have also notified the Independent Police Conduct Authority.

"I would like to acknowledge the disruption this will bring to motorists and their cooperation, with road closures in place around the Lincoln Road area while we conduct our enquiries and clear the scene."

Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency said the on and off-ramps at Lincoln Rd have reopened. 

Police said they acknowledge the disruption caused to motorists on Monday morning and thank them for their cooperation while their enquiries were carried out at the scene.

Earlier, police said the Lincoln Road off-ramp city-bound and westbound are closed because of the incident, which also affected Lincoln Road, Triangle Road and Central Park Drive.

Footage from the scene showed the police helicopter circling in the air.

AM reporter Nats Levi told AM there was a "big police presence" in the area.

A staff member at the nearby Mobile petrol station told New Zealand Herald they were serving a customer when they spotted a disturbance outside.

"I looked up and there was a whole lot of police cars chasing something or someone.

"I heard police dogs - I think they let the police dogs out to chase that guy on foot," the staffer said.