Urgent evacuations are underway in Muriwai in west Auckland after houses collapsed.
A Fire and Emergency spokesperson told Newshub they responded to two houses collapsing on Motutara Road.
Official Government advice:
- Severe impacts of Cyclone Gabrielle are now being seen across the upper North Island.
- Red Weather warnings are in place for Northland, Auckland, Coromandel, Gisborne and Taranaki, with ORANGE warnings for the rest of the North Island as well as the top of the South (Marlborough, Nelson and Buller)
- If it is safe to do so, stay at home. Avoid all non-essential travel
- Have an evacuation plan in case your home becomes unsafe to stay in
- If you have evacuated, please stay where you are until you are given the all-clear to go home
- Stay away from floodwater and never drive through floodwaters
- Check in on neighbours and family members if it is safe to do so
- Please stay up to date with the forecasts from MetService and continue to follow the advice of civil defence and emergency services
- Advice on how to get prepared, including in te reo Māori, is at getready.govt.nz
- Call 111 if you feel in any danger
- Stay safe. Don't take any chances
"We can confirm there are people trapped at one of the collapsed houses," they said.
"There are several USAR teams and fire crews on site from across Tamaki Makaurau.
"This is an evolving situation and necessitated an evacuation of residents in Motutara and Domain Roads to the local Surf Life Saving Club."
In an update, Police have issued an urgent evacuation message to people on Motutara Road.
"Evacuate Motutara Rd to the Surf Club immediately," it reads.
"Houses to the north of 140 Motutara Rd go to the Surf Club via Oaia Road. Houses to the south of 140 Motutara Rd go south to the Surf Club.
"Everyone evacuated or still needing to evacuate from Domain Road go south to the Surf Club."
Auckland Emergency Management has issued an emergency mobile alert (EMA) for residents of Murawai on Motutara Road and Domain Crescent advising them to "evacuate now".
The advice to the public is:
- Evacuate now
- Make their way to Sand Dunz Café where emergency services will assist
- Take essential items only including pets.
- Check on neighbours who may need help. If safe to do so.
- Share this information if it doesn't cause delay
- Call 111 if they cannot evacuate themselves